SmartBox | Wireless Concrete Resistivity
Wireless Concrete Resistivity
Giatec SmartBox™ is a compact wireless device for the measurement and monitoring of electrical resistance and temperature in fresh concrete. The continuous measurements are recorded on SmartBox™ and can be downloaded using the mobile application on Android smartphone/tablet.
The electrical resistivity of fresh concrete has been shown to provide a good indication on the water content as well as setting and hardening of concrete. SmartBox™ provides an efficient tool for various research studies in these areas.
The SmartBox™ concrete testing equipment can be used to monitor the electrical resistivity and temperature of fresh concrete. This can provide information on:
- Water content in fresh concrete
- Prediction of setting
- Setting time measurement
- Crack detection in concrete
- Wireless technology
- Compact design
- Simultaneous measurement of electrical resistance and temperature
- Optimized frequency for fresh concrete
- Long battery life on a single charge(about 3 months*)
- Mobile application for Android smartphone and tablet
- Easy data sharing
- Patent pending
This method of resistivity measurement is not standardized and is suitable for various research applications. However, AASHTO TP 95-11 provides the test standard for surface electrical resistivity measurement. An ASTM standard is also under development for this test. A copy of the AASHTO test specification entitled "Standard Method of Test for Surface Resistivity Indication of Concrete's Ability to Resist Chloride Ion Penetration" can be obtained from here.
remove_circle_outlineadd_circle Technical Specifications
|1 – 3000 Ω
||-20 ~ 45 °C
||10 ~ 90%
|Battery Charger Specification
|Dimensions of SmartBox™ unit
||85 x 55 x 22 mm
remove_circle_outlineadd_circle Purchase Items
||SmartBox™ Full Package
||SmartBox™ unit, Plastic spacer for rods, 10 pairs of customized rods, 10 temperature sensors, USB charger and cable, Ruggedized tablet, Android application for Tablet, user manual (Tablet is included)
||SmartBox™ Essential Package
||SmartBox™ unit, One pair of customized rods, Temperature sensor, USB charger and cable, Android application for Smartphone, user manual (Smartphone is not included)
The following replacement parts are available upon request:
||Measurement unit - should be purchased with one of the packages
||10 pairs of customized rods
||SmartBox™ temperature sensors
||pack of 10 temperature sensors
Q1: How long is the battery life?
A: The battery life on a single charge is about 3 months for basic data log under room temperature.
Q2: What is the log interval for resistance and temperature?
A: The standard log follows this schedule:
a. First 24 hours: every 5 minutes
b. Next 72 hours: every 1 hour
c. After that: every 6 hours
We also have custom log which provides a fix log interval in minutes (1 min to a couple of days). This can be changed by the user in the app menu.
Q3: What is the maximum number of data that can be recorded on the SmartBox?
A: The device can store 1024 data points in the following format:
Time | Date | Temp (C) | Resistance (ohm)
10:20 | 10/02/2015 | 23 | 789
- M. Mancio, J. R. Moore, Z. Brooks, P. J. M. Monteiro, S. D. Glaser, : Instantaneous In-Situ Determination of Water-Cement Ratio of Fresh Concrete, ACI materials Journal (2010), 107, 587-593.
- Ranade, R., J. Zhang, J.P. Lynch, & V.C. Li (2014). Influence of Micro-Cracking on the Composite Resistivity of ECC. Cement and Concrete Research, 58, 1-12.
- Bentz, D. P.; Snyder, K. A.; Ahmed, A. M. (2014). Anticipating the Setting Time of High-Volume Fly Ash Concretes Using Electrical Measurements: Feasibility Studies Using Pastes J of Materials in Civil Engineering, 6 p
- Nikkanen, P. (1962). On the Electrical Properties of Concrete and Their Applications. Vaftion Tebsilliren Tutkirndaitos, Tiedotus, Sarja III, Rakennus 60, 75 pages. In Finnish with English summary.
- Andrade, C. (2010). Types of Models of Service Life of Reinforcement: The Case of the Resistivity. Concrete Research Letters, 1(2), 73- 80.
- Bertolini, L., & Polder, R. B. (1997). Concrete Resistivity and Reinforcement Corrosion Rate as a Function of Temperature and Humidity of the Environment. TNO report 97-BT-R0574, Netherland.
- Florida DOT FM 5-578. (2004). Method of Test for Concrete Resistivity as an Electrical Indicator of Its Permeability, 226.
- Forster, S.W. (2000). Concrete Durability-Influencing Factors and Testing. Farmington Hills, MI. Durability of Concrete, ACI Committee, Vol. 191, 1-10.
- Gowers, K. R. & Millard, S. G. (1999). Measurement of Concrete Resistivity for Assessment of Corrosion Severity of Steel Using Wenner Technique. ACI Material Journal, 96(5), 536-541.
- Hooton, R.D., Thomas, M.D.A., & Stanish, K., (2001). Prediction of Chloride Penetration in Concrete. Federal Highway Administration, Report No. FHWA-RD-00-142.
- Millard, S. G., Harrison, J. A., & Edwards, A. J. (1989). Measurements of the Electrical Resistivity of Reinforced Concrete Structures for the Assessment of Corrosion Risk. British Journal of NDT, 13(11), 617-621.
- Monfore, G. E. (1968). The Electrical Resistivity of Concrete. Journal of the PCA Research Development Laboratories, 10(2), 35-48.
- Morris, W., Moreno, E. I., & Sagues, A. A. (1996). Practical Evaluation of Resistivity of Concrete in Test Cylinders Using A Wenner Array Probe. Cement and Concrete Research, 26(12), 1779-1787.
- Nokken, M. R. & Hooton, R. D. (2006). Electrical Conductivity as a Prequalification and Quality Control. Concrete International, 28(10), 61-66.
- RILEM Technical Committee. (2005). Update of the Recommendation of RILEM TC 189-NEC Non-destructive Evaluation of the Concrete Cover (Comparative Test Part I, Comparative Test of Penetrability Methods). Materials & Structures, 38(284), 895-906.
- Sengul, O. & Gjorv, O. E. (2008). Electrical Resistivity Measurements for Quality Control During Concrete Construction. ACI Materials Journal, 105(6), 541-547.
- Sengul, O. & Gjorv, O. E. (2009). Effect of Embedded steel on Electrical Resistivity Measurements on Concrete Structures. ACI Materials Journal, 106(1), 11-18.
Giatec Scientific Inc
Average rating: 0 reviews